Monday, April 14, 2008

My mom......


Here is some background. When I was 16 I found out I was pregnant. I told my parents and a few days later I woke up to an empty house. I mean EMPTY. No parents, no food and no furniture. I found out that my parents were getting a divorce and my mom ran off to another state in the middle of the night. My dad moved in with this 20 yr girlfriend. So, the only thing I had a car that my dad gave me. That did not last long. He came and took it away and said his girlfriend did not like me having a car "she owned".

So, lived no where for a while. I tried to ask my parents for help but they were too busy to deal with me. So, when the baby came and I tried to get a house and take care of her but I could not. I was alone, broke and scared at 16. So, I decided to give the baby up for adoption.

When my parents found out they were shocked. I still do not know why because I asked everyone for help. Anyway, my mom always holds it over my head.

Today, I got an email from her that said I am "short and rude" when I talk to her. I just do not listen to her crap, sometimes I hang up. Anyway, she went on to say that "she may not be the best mom but is certainly better at being a mom than I was as a teenager. "

You know, I think I did the best that I could given the situation. That baby (she is now 13) has had a better life than I could have even given her. I do not regret my choice. I talk to her every few months and she is happier than you can imagine.

I guess the reason I am writing this is I want someone besides my husband to hear me and understand because this is not something I share with people.

Just a note. My mom for sure has BPD but she refuses to admit it, get help or take medication. I want to cut the ties but.....she is my mom. What to do?

No comments:

Do you think with the right treatment that BPD is "curable"?